Have you always wanted to pursue a career in the beauty industry? With beauty training from our pre-vocational cosmetology program, a new start is right around the corner! Our pre-beauty training program offers courses designed to teach you hair and nail design, multicultural techniques, makeup, fashion trends, manicuring, pedicuring, basic facials, receptionist’s duties and the art of hairdressing. Students can discover in the program if it is the right career choice for them. We prepare our student to move into an approved cosmetology school to further their instruction.
- Quality of Work
- Time Management
- Proper Work Attitude
- Focus on Task
- Working Well with Others
- Following Instructions
- Following Safety Procedures
Shampoo and rinse customers' hair.
Sample of reported job titles: Apprentice Cosmetologist, Apprentice Stylist, Assistant Hairstylist, Hair Assistant, Shampoo Assistant, Shampoo Person, Shampoo Technician, Shampooer, Stylist Assistant
Receptionists & Clerks
Answer inquiries and provide information to the general public, customers, visitors, and other interested parties regarding activities conducted at establishment and location of departments, offices, and employees within the organization.
Sample of reported job titles: Clerk Specialist, Community Liaison, Front Desk Receptionist, Greeter, Member Service Representative, Office Assistant, Receptionist, Scheduler, Senior Receptionist, Unit Assistant
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen, or forward calls, providing information, taking messages, or scheduling appointments.
- Greet persons entering establishment, determine nature and purpose of visit, and direct or escort them to specific destinations.
- Schedule appointments and maintain and update appointment calendars.
- Hear and resolve complaints from customers or the public.
Detailed Work Activities
- Collect deposits, payments or fees.
- Proofread documents, records, or other files to ensure accuracy.
- Answer telephones to direct calls or provide information.
- Discuss goods or services information with customers or patrons.
- Greet customers, patrons, or visitors.
Provide skincare treatments to face and body to enhance an individual's appearance.
Sample of reported job titles: Aesthetician, Clinical Esthetician, Esthetician, Lead Esthetician, Medical Esthetician, Skin Care Specialist, Skin Care Technician, Skin Care Therapist, Spa Technician
Manicurists and Pedicurists
- Sample of reported job titles: Manicurist, Nail Technician, Pedicurist
- Clean and shape customers' fingernails and toenails. May polish or decorate nails.
- Clean and sanitize tools and work environment.
- Apply undercoat and clear or colored polish onto nails with brush.
- Maintain supply inventories and records of client services.
- Shape and smooth ends of nails, using scissors, files, or emery boards.
- Prepare nail cuticles with water and oil, using cuticle knives to push back cuticles and scissors or nippers to trim cuticles.
Apply makeup to performers to reflect period, setting, and situation of their role. Sample of reported job titles: Commercial Makeup Artist, Hair and Makeup Designer, Makeup Artist, Prosthetic Makeup Designer, Special Effects Makeup Artist
- Confer with stage or motion picture officials and performers in order to determine desired effects.
- Duplicate work precisely in order to replicate characters' appearances on a daily basis.
- Establish budgets, and work within budgetary limits.
- Apply makeup to enhance, and/or alter the appearance of people appearing in productions such as movies.
- Alter or maintain makeup during productions as necessary to compensate for lighting changes or to achieve continuity of effect.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation — Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
- Self- Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical.