The following webpage has been created to provide assistance to those individuals who are required to maintain up to date clearances for employment within the Chester County Public Schools as well as the Chester County Intermediate Unit. Please note that the Chester County Intermediate does not issue any of the clearances and does not maintain the websites of the clearance agencies. Clearance procedures are subject to change and all questions related to clearance procedures should be directed to the appropriate agencies. Contact information is listed within this webpage. This webpage was designed as a service to the community to assist with common questions that arise during the registration process.
Certain individuals, in order to work or volunteer with children, are required to obtain clearances which may include the following:
Please see the information below for instructions on how to register for each of these clearances. Video instructions are also available for each of the clearances.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you should check with the Human Resources Department of your employer to determine which of the clearances you need as well as any special procedures in filling out the clearance forms. Your Human Resources Department may also have special instructions on what will need to be submitted. Please direct your questions about clearance procedures to your Human Resources Department.
CLEARANCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check (Fingerprinting)
Questions? Contact 3M Cogent Systems at: 888-439-2486 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Click on the Department icon that your employer has asked you to register with. If you work for CCIU or a Chester County Public School, click on the icon for the PA Dept of Education.
3. To register, click on “Register Online” on the right-hand side of the screen.
4. Read through the memorandum of understanding. When finished click the check box and then click on “Continue”.
5. Read through the dissemination disclaimer. When finished click the check box and then click on “Continue”.
6. Fill out all required fields on the applicant registration page. Please note that the form asks for your LAST name and then asks for your FIRST name. Be sure to enter your correct name in the right box. When you have finished entering all of the required information, click on the ”Next” button.
7. Read through your information and verify its accuracy. Double check to make sure that your FIRST and LAST name are in the appropriate places. When finished, click “next”.
8. Fill out your payment information. When finished, click on the “Pay” button.
9. When your registration process has been completed, you will see a registration complete page. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you have a copy of your Registration ID number. You will need to print this page, or take a picture of the page, or write down the Registration ID number. In order to be fingerprinted, you must show your registration id number and read it to the fingerprinting technician. The fingerprinting technician cannot look up your registration by your name. The fingerprinting technician can only look up your registration by the registration id number that you provide.
10. You can print your registration id if you have a printer available to you. You can click the send email button to email a copy of the registration to you. Or, you can write down your registration id number with a pen and paper.
11. When finished, click on “close”.
After you have your registration id number, you will need to go to a fingerprinting site to be fingerprinted. You will need to bring your registration id number as well as a valid photo id. See Cogent’s website for acceptable forms of photo identification (www.pa.cogentid.com). The most common forms of photo id are a driver’s license or passport. Please note that a school id is not acceptable. For questions about acceptable identification or your registration, contact Cogent at: 888-439-2486.
Once you are fingerprinted, you will receive your results in the mail in 2-3 weeks. Please note that your school might be able to look up your fingerprinting results in 2 business days from the date that you are fingerprinted. In order for your school to look up your results, you will need to supply them with your registration id number. Check with the Human Resources department at your school to see if they can look up your results online.
CLEARANCE: Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check
2. Click on “Submit a New Record Check (requires a credit card)”
3. Read through the Terms and Conditions. If you accept the terms, click on “Accept” button at the bottom of the screen.
4. Fill out your personal information. If you work for the CCIU, choose Employment as your reason for request.
5. Review the section titled “Personal information review”; when finished, click on “proceed”.
6. Fill in the Record Check Request Form Information. When finished, click on “enter this request”.
7. You will see a sentence appear at the bottom of the screen that says “View Queued Record Check Requests (1)”. Click on this link.
8. On the next screen you will see your name, Date of birth, race, sex, etc listed in the request queue. If the information is correct, click on the “Submit” button.
9. Fill out your credit card information for payment. When finished, click on “next”
10. On the next screen, you will see a confirmation of your payment information. There is also a note that says “If the status is “request under review” it will take from two to four weeks for the status to be updated to “no record” or “record”. “No record” status should be printed out at your printer. “Record” status will be mailed to you.” When you have confirmed your credit card information, click on the “submit” button.
11. You will then see that your record is being checked.
12. When finished, you will see a control # link for your background check. Click on your control # link to view your background check.
13. When you click on the control # you will see the record check details. Click on the link that says “certification form”. When you click on the link, you will see a pdf of your PA Criminal Record Check. Print this pdf and give it to your HR department.
14. When finished, close out of your web browser.
CLEARANCE: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
Questions? Contact CWIS Support Center at: 877-343-0494
3. Read through the Create Keystone ID: General Information Welcome page. When finished, click on “Next”.
4. Fill out all of the required fields on the Create Keystone ID: Profile Information Page. Fields include:
• Keystone ID (6 to 10 characters)
• First Name
• Last Name
• Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
• Confirm E-mail
• Security Question 1
• Security Question 2
• Security Question 3
There is a special question at the end to ensure that you are not a robot. You must answer this question, too.
When finished, click on the “Finish” button.
5. After you click Finish, you will see a screen that tells you to “check your e-mail for your temporary password!” (NOTE: You will receive 2 emails. One email contains your Keystone ID. The other email contains your temporary password. When you use your temporary password, you will be prompted to change it to something more personal when you log back in. )
6. Go back to https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
7. Click on “Individual Login”
8. To submit your Child Abuse Clearance, click on “Access My Clearances”.
9. Read through the “Learn More” section. Here you will learn more about the website and disclosure of personal information. After you have read through all of the information, click on “continue” located in the bottom right-hand corner.
10. When prompted, type in your username and Password under the Keystone Key section. Click on Login when finished.
NOTE: Your username is your Keystone Id that you just created. Type in your Keystone ID in the section that says username.
Your password is your temporary password that you received in an email from automatedmailDONOTREPLY@pa.gov .
11. Next you will be prompted to type in a new password and to confirm your new password.
12. Now, you will see a screen that confirms that you have reset your password. The screen will say “Congratulations! You have successfully set a personal password for your Keystone ID! Please click the “Close Window” button and login to your application with your personal password.
13. Click on the “Close Window” button.
14. You will now see the log-in screen again that prompts you for your username and password under the Keystone Key section. Type in your username and password. Click Login when finished.
NOTE: Your username is your Keystone ID that you created. Type in your Keystone ID in the section that says username.
Your password is the personal password that you just created.
15. Read through the “My Child Welfare Account Terms and Conditions” information. Select “I have read, fully understand and agree to the My Child Welfare Account Terms and Conditions” if you agree to them. Then click on “Next”.
16. Read through the “Learn More” section. Here you will learn more about the website and disclosure of personal information. After you have read through all of the information, click on “continue” located in the bottom right-hand corner.
17. On the next screen, click on “Create clearance application”.
18. Read through the “Getting Started” page. Here you will learn: What to Expect, Information You Will Need, and Additional Information. When you have read through this information, click on “Begin” located in the bottom right-hand corner.
19. Complete each section of the application.
Part 1 – Application Purpose: Select your reason, then click “Next” in the bottom right-hand corner. If you work for CCIU or a Chester County Public School, choose “School Employee Governed by Public School Code”. If you volunteer at CCIU or a Chester County Public School, choose “Volunteer”.
Part 1 – Applicant Information: Confirm and update all required fields: First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Gender.
If you are comfortable, type in your Social Security Number.
Enter any previous names or nicknames.
Enter any additional contact information.
When finished with Applicant Information, click on Next in the bottom right-hand corner.
Part 1 – Current Address: Type in the address information requested. When finished, click on Next in the bottom right-hand corner.
Part 1 – Previous Addresses: Click the plus sign to add any and all previous addresses. Include as much information as you remember. It’s okay if you don’t have the complete information, just include as much of the address as you remember.
When finished, click on Next in the bottom right-hand corner.
Part 1 – Household Members: Click the plus sign to add any household members that lived with you including parents and siblings.
When finished, click on Next in the bottom right-hand corner.
Part 1 – Application Summary: Read through and verify the application summary to make sure all information is accurate.
When finished, click on Next in the bottom right-hand corner.
Part 2 – eSignature
Click the box that says “I hereby certify that the information entered on this report is accurate and complete…” Then type in your name in the Signature box. When finished, click next.
Part 2 – Application Payment
Click on yes or no depending on whether your organization provided a code for payment. CCIU does not provide a code for payment. If you work for CCIU, check “No”. When finished, click on “Make a Payment” located in the bottom right hand corner.
Fill out your payment information. When finished click on the Pay Now button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
After you click the Pay now button, you will see a confirmation page that says “Your Card Has Been Charged”.
20. Next, click on “Finalize and submit application”.
21. You should now see a Submission Confirmation page. This page should indicate that you have been successful and will describe your next steps. You will receive an email notification with the outcome/result of your application. If you do not receive the email in a timely manner, contact ChildLine and Abuse Registry’s Child Abuse History Clearance Unit at: 1-877-371-5422.
22. When finished, click on the Log out button.
23. You will see a confirmation that you have successfully logged out.
24. Check your email to see when your results/outcome become available. You will receive 2 emails. One email will confirm your application submission. The second email will tell you that your results are ready and that the website has been updated with your result information. For some, the results may come within a few minutes after the submission, for others, the results may take several days (up to 14 days) for results to be recorded.
25. Once you receive the result confirmation email, you will need to log back into the Child Abuse Clearance Site. Go to: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
26. Click on “Individual Login”
27. Click on “Access My Clearances”
28. Read through the Learn More section, then click on continue in the bottom right-hand corner.
29. Type in your username and password under the keystone key section. As a reminder, your username is your Keystone ID. Your password is the personal password that you set. Then click on login.
30. Once you login, you will see a section titled “Status of Submitted Applications.” Click on the e-Clearance ID link to view the results.
31. Your clearance should appear as a pdf. You can print this clearance certificate and give it to your HR department for confirmation of your child abuse clearance.
32. When finished, click on “log out” to log out of the site.