A Synopsis of the Chester County Intermediate Unit Board of Directors
The Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU) Board of Directors held its monthly meeting on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at the Educational Service Center, Downingtown, PA. Board members from Avon Grove, Great Valley, Kennett Consolidated, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area school districts were in attendance and the following items were discussed:
Items of Note
- In honor of School Director Recognition Month, administration recognized CCIU Board members for their continued support of the CCIU and its programs. Student-made treat boxes were presented to each Board member as well as a certificate of appreciation.
- Mr. Chris Turtell of Herbein + Company presented an overview of the 2018-19 audit reports, which included the Technical College High School (TCHS) audit report. CCIU and TCHS both received an unqualified audit, the highest possible score.
- The following Board members were appointed as our newest Board members to the CCIU Board of Directors:
- Stephen Dittman – Great Valley
- Victoria Gehrt – Kennett Consolidated
- David Kring – Downingtown Area
- Jennifer Munson – Owen J. Roberts
- Michelle Schamis – Phoenixville Area
- Stacy Stone – Tredyffrin/Easttown
We welcome all of them to our Board!
- Dr. George Fiore gave an update on his Entry Plan. Dr. Fiore reported that he has been at the CCIU for five months and during that time, he has met with both internal and external stakeholders including staff, district administration, legislators and business leaders. In addition to meeting in-person, one of the tools he used to gather information was an internal satisfaction survey distributed to all CCIU employees. He reviewed the survey results during his presentation. Dr. Fiore reported that 596 surveys were completed, which translates to nearly 25% of the staff. From the survey results received, areas of strength and areas of needing further review were determined and organized into emerging themes. Dr. Fiore said he will continue working on the mission of the CCIU to provide educational leadership for a better Chester County and beyond by encouraging open communication and transparency, through collaboration and support, by providing advocacy for all stakeholders and finally, providing accountability and innovation. Dr. Fiore will give further updates throughout the rest of the year.
The CCIU Board of Directors acted on the following finance actions:
- Accepted the 2018-19 Audit Report
- Approved the Long-Range Plan for Buildings and Facilities for 2020-2030
The CCIU Board of Directors approved the 2020-21 CCIU Calendars.
The CCIU Board of Directors approved all recommended personnel action items, including routine terminations/resignations/retirements, nominations, changes in status, creation of positions, supplemental salaries and pay rates.
The next CCIU Board of Directors meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. at the Educational Service Center, 455 Boot Road, Downingtown, PA 19335.