A Synopsis of the Chester County Intermediate Unit Board of Directors
The Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU) Board of Directors held its monthly meeting on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at the Educational Service Center, Downingtown, PA. Board members from Avon Grove, Coatesville Area, Downingtown Area, Great Valley, Kennett Consolidated, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area school districts were in attendance and the following items were discussed:
Items of Note
- President Wolff presented Dr. George F. Fiore with a certificate recognizing him for graduating from the AASA National Superintendent Certification Program. The graduation ceremony was held last week at the AASA National Conference in San Diego, California. Graduates from this program completed in-depth curriculum, in-person sessions, one-on-one mentoring, a capstone project as well as created long-term professional networks. Congratulations, Dr. Fiore!
- Dr. George Fiore, executive director, gave a status update on the CCIU’s 2019-20 organizational goals. Also highlighted was the Governor’s budget proposal. Below are some of the notable items:
- $100 million increase in Basic Education Funding
- $25 million increase in Special Education Funding
- $25 million increase in PreK Counts
- $5 million increase in Head Start
- $11 million increase in Preschool Early Intervention
- $119 million increase in PSERS
- $0 increase in Ready to Learn Block Grant
- $0 increase in CTE
- $0 increase in Pupil Transportation
- $0 increase in Non-Public and Charter School Transportation
- $0 increase in Migrant Education
- $0 increase in safe school initiative
- Trauma-informed education zeroed out.
- Dr. Fiore also presented the Governor’s Charter School Reform proposal (see attached chart). If passed, Chester County school districts stand to save a significant amount of dollars.
- Mr. Joseph Lubitsky, director of administrative services, reviewed, in first reading, the draft 2020-21 Core, Occupational Education and Categorical Budgets and answered questions. Key points in the presentation were as follows:
- No increase in proposed Core budget contributions.
- Proposed 1.3% increase in Occupational Education tuition rate.
- Any increases in Marketplace program prices for Chester County school districts will be limited to the Act 1 Index (2.6%).
- Categorical Budgets do not require local school district funds and represent alternative sources of revenue to deliver services.
The Marketplace Budget will be reviewed, in first reading, on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. CCIU Board of Directors will also vote on the Core and Occupational Education budgets at that meeting. If approved by the Board, the Core and Occupational budgets will be sent to our district boards for approval. Joe Lubitsky and George Fiore are available to present the IU budget to our individual district boards upon request. Interested districts should contact Joe Lubitsky at 484- 237-5071.
The CCIU Board of Directors acted on the following finance actions:
- 2020-21 Core and Occupational Education Budgets – FIRST READING
- Approved a line of credit with PNC Bank
The CCIU Board of Directors acted on the following new business:
- Approved new Welding & Metal Fabrication program partnership between TCHS-Pennock’s Bridge and the Octorara Area School District.
- Approved bids for Phase III of the renovations to the Child & Career Development Center
The CCIU Board of Directors approved all recommended personnel action items, including routine terminations/ resignations/retirements, nominations, changes in status, creation of positions, supplemental salaries and pay rates.
The next CCIU Board of Directors meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. at the Technical College High School – Pennock’s Bridge Campus, 280 Pennock’s Bridge Road, West Grove, PA. Please note: The April 15th CCIU Board meeting has been changed to April 29th.