A Synopsis of the Chester County Intermediate Unit Board of Directors
The Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU) Board of Directors held its monthly meeting virtually on Wednesday, March 18, 2020. Board members from Avon Grove, Coatesville Area, Downingtown Area, Great Valley, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area school districts were in attendance and the following items were discussed:
Items of Note
- Dr. George F. Fiore thanked everyone for coming together and making our first virtual board meeting come to fruition. This is an unprecedented time that everyone is dealing with and he is proud of everyone working together. The CCIU has been working very closely and having daily meetings with the Governor’s office and PDE to ensure that safe and sound decisions are being made for the well-being of our staff, students, member school districts and communities in Chester County. Information is changing hourly and we are doing our best to keep up with any new resources and/or guidance.
- The CCIU Board of Directors took action to suspend our Policy 006.1 to the extent that requires a majority of the Board to be present as a precondition to any Board member participating remotely in a regularly scheduled Board meeting. This suspension allowed for all members of the Board to participate remotely in the meeting.
- The Board of Directors approved the 2020-21 Core, Occupational Education and Categorical Budgets. The Budget now needs approval of our district boards. Because all of our districts are closed due to Governor Wolf’s mandate, our Budget will be electronically sent to each district along with the ballots and resolutions. We are asking our member districts to disseminate to each of your board members for their review. Our Core Services budget needs approved by the majority of the district boards by April 30, 2020 and the Occupational Education budget will need approved by majority of district boards by June 30, 2020. We are requesting that each district schedule these budgets on an upcoming board agenda according to the above deadlines.
The CCIU Board of Directors acted on the following finance actions:
- Refinancing of the 2015 Bond Issue
- First Reading of the 2020-21 Marketplace Budgets and Marketplace Pricing Schedule
The CCIU Board of Directors approved all recommended personnel action items, including routine terminations/ resignations/retirements, nominations, changes in status, creation of positions, supplemental salaries and pay rates.
- In addition to the routine personnel business, the Board of Directors approved a Memorandum of Understanding with our Educational Support Personnel Association, which was necessary in order to pay our support staff during the Governor’s mandated school closure of all schools and intermediate unit’s in the Commonwealth beginning March 15 through March 27.
The next CCIU Board of Directors meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 7:30 p.m. at the Educational Service Center, 455 Boot Road, Downingtown, PA.