8:00AM to 9:30AM Remote Art Instructional Strategies for Art Teachers
9:45AM to 11:15AM Introduction to Stop Motion Animation
11:15AM to 12:00PM Lunch
12:00PM to 1:30PM Temporary Art Installations
1:30PM to 3:00PM Coaching with Veronica Batter
8:00AM to 9:30AM Remote Art Instructional Strategies with Veronica Batter, Rockdale Art Center
Fun and interactive approach to live teaching art on Zoom to increase student engagement and effective instruction. Learn strategies for setup and structure of a live lesson, foster engagement, and create group projects. Then we’ll have a breakout session to discuss instructional strategies per grade level, followed by a brainstorming session to formulate a plan for your own instruction. We will create a group project during this class, so have printer paper (8.5x11in) and drawing materials ready for an enjoyable, creative session.
9:45AM to 11:15AM Introduction to Stop Motion Animation with Keville Bowen and Veronica Batter, Rockdale Art Center
Learn the basics of creating a stop motion animation for instructional use as well as teaching to your students. We will download a stop motion animation app, learn about pacing, smooth transitions, and other aspects of stop motion animation. During this session we’ll create our own animations, and share, so have some art materials, clay, or Legos handy. We will also discuss best practices for teaching stop motion through live virtual classes for your students. This is a fun and engaging way to teach storyboarding, design, creativity, and more virtually!
12:00PM to 1:30PM Temporary Art Installations: Tape Installation, Yarn Bombing, and more! with Jay Walker, Jay Walker Studio, and Veronica Batter, Rockdale Art Center
Temporary art installations are a great way to engage students with their environments whether they’re at home or in school. Learn about Tape Installations from a nationally known artist, Jay Walker, who created a large installation in the Philadelphia airport Summer of 2019. Then experiment with yarn bombing with Veronica Batter, learning about different types of yarn and ways to use it in various installations for any grade level. Have some tape and yarn ready to create with! We will share ideas of other temporary art installations at the end of the session so each participant walks away with projects ready to use in the classroom.
1:30PM to 3:00PM Coaching with Veronica Batter, Rockdale Art Center
Apply the learning from this day of professional learning to your lessons and curriculum. Pop in to ask questions and work one on one or as a group with Veronica Batter.
- Each session will have downloadable PDFs available with information and resources discussed, participants should print them out ahead of time as we will fill some worksheets out during each session.
- Each session includes an art activity so that the teachers can gain experience working with materials during virtual classes
- Chat notes of each Zoom session will be downloaded and made available to all participants
- Outlines of each session will be available for review ahead of the in-service day
- Teachers will walk away from this day with a wealth of information they can use immediately in their classrooms
- Each session is designed to keep everyone engaged and active