Research shows that children who participate in quality preschool programs are more likely to enter school ready to learn and realize positive long-term outcomes.
Not all children have the same preschool learning opportunities, even in our community. Limited federally funded slots offer quality preschool education to only 17 percent of the eligible 3- and 4 year-olds in Chester County. This leaves 4,320 preschoolers from low-income families at a clear disadvantage. Quality education is essential to move out of poverty.
Investing in equal access to high-quality pre-kindergarten education yields benefits for children, schools and the community at large.
The solution is working together
The Chester County Intermediate Unit (CCIU) and the United Way of Chester County (UWCC) decided to work together to reach more children with high-quality preschool programming, preparing them for school and life-long success.
The CCIU is dedicating expertise and staff resources to provide dynamic preschool programming in a location in Coatesville that is easily accessible to underserved families, thanks to its partnership with Coatesville Area School District.
UWCC will mobilize individual and corporate volunteers and strategically align resources such as people, time, talent and dollars. UNIFY can make a positive, long lasting impact on young lives and the future of our community.
GET INVOLVED! TAKE ACTION!
• Direct support in the classroom – teacher-guided activities
• Serve as a volunteer greeter at the school
• Gather a work group to create a vibrant learning environment
• Present workshops to families
• Host a school supply or book drive for the children
• Collect supplies and assemble literacy kits
• Sponsor events for children and families
• Advocate for equal access for all to high-quality early childhood education