Course of Study Overview
The Chester County Intermediate Unit Practical Nursing Program consists of 1,635 hours of study with new classes starting a minimum of twice each year. The total hours are broken up into four levels, each equating to 393 to 414 hours in length. Each level consists of individual courses that stress the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Each course must be completed successfully and in sequence with any emergency closures (e.g. weather-related closures) made up.
Clinical experience is concurrent and sequential with classroom instruction through the cooperation of local clinical site affiliation agreements held with the following sites amongst others: Penn Medicine Chester County Hospital, Pocopson Home, Bryn Mawr Rehabilitation Hospital, Brandywine Hospital, Neighborhood Health Agencies, Department of Veterans Administration Medical Center, Kendal Crosslands and community clinical care experiences. Facilities represent various levels of care including acute care, sub-acute care, skilled care, home care and community based experiences.
Upon completion of the PNP, the graduate will:
- Practice as a novice healthcare team member within the framework established by the Nurse Practice Act of the State of PA.
- Develop a spirit of inquiry to promote personal and professional growth.
- Utilize the nursing process to provide safe, holistic care to diverse populations in a variety of settings.
- Integrate clinical reasoning and evidence-based practice to promote high quality, safe and effective care.
- Demonstrate collaborative communication to advocate for the clients, families and groups.
- Apply leadership and management principles to achieve quality and safety outcomes.
*Revised December 2018
At the beginning of the level, course outlines and objectives for each subject are reviewed. "Pennsylvania State Board Approved and Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly known as National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia) 30326 Phone: 404-975-5000; FAX: 404-675-5020 Accredited”
Pass Rates for program type and location:
TCHS Brandywine FT: 95%
TCHS Brandywine PT: 100%
TCHS Pennock's Bridge: 93%
Aggregate Program pass rate: 95%
Completion Rates at 150% of the program:
TCHS Brandywine FT: 64%
TCHS Brandywine PT: 67%
TCHS Pennock's Bridge: 72%
Aggregated Completion rate: 66%
Disaggregated by program:
Job Placement Rate: 94%