CarpentryPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
Unlike traditional woodshop electives, the Carpentry program offers students a more comprehensive, in-depth exploration of carpentry and construction. Students in this program will get extensive hands-on experience that prepares them to directly enter careers in the residential, commercial and home improvement construction industry.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Understand industry safety standards
- Properly identify and use hand tools, blueprints and measuring devices
- Properly use and maintain hand and stationary power tools
- Construct floor systems, walls, windows and door openings
- Build simple and complex roof structures and stairs
- Hang and finish drywall, install finish trim on the interior of structures and install doors and cabinets
CertificationsOSHA-10 Construction Industry Safety & HealthPennsylvania Skills CertificateS/P2 Safety & Pollution Prevention
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegeConcurrent Dual Enrollment CreditsPennsylvania College of TechnologySOAR CreditsClarion University of PennsylvaniaCommonwealth Technical InstituteDelaware County Community CollegeJohnson CollegeThaddeus Stevens College of Technology
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as: Sterling Kitchens, Aerzen Corporation, Longwood
Gardens, Akers Contracting and Tague Lumber. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Review the task list.