CosmetologyPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The fashion-driven cosmetology field offers many opportunities for those who enjoy creativity and personal interaction with clients. Students who are motivated and passionate about fashion can earn the required hours for state licensure as a cosmetologist, nail technician, esthetician or natural hair braider.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Learn about hair styling, shampooing/ conditioning, blow drying and wet styling
- Be introduced to skin care, nail care, basic makeup applications and nail art design
- Develop haircutting and hair coloring skills through hands-on practice and application
- Learn about chemical texture services, such as permanent waving and hair straightening
- Gain additional experience practicing hair styling and nail enhancements with actual clients
- Build a professional portfolio that includes a career plan
- Demonstrate skills to successfully pass the Pennsylvania State Licensing Exam
CertificationsEsthetician LicenseManicurist LicenseNatural Hair Braider LicensePennsylvania Skills CertificatePennsylvania State Board of Cosmetology License
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community College1:1 Articulation CreditsSt. Francis University
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as the Hair Cuttery, Sports Clips and Avante Salon. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list.