Early Childhood Care & EducationPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The demand for early childcare professionals with professional degrees and industry-recognized credentials is rapidly growing. Being good with kids can turn into a career in the Early Childhood Care & Education program, which prepares students to earn their Child Development Associate (CDA) national credential.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Explore basic health, safety issues and the general developmental of children
- Gain exposure to the different types of childcare programs through theory and field experience
- Identify typical behaviors/milestones seen in children at specific ages
- Learn how to write and prepare lesson plans
- Plan and present a lesson plan to a preschool classroom
- Complete a nationally-recognized Child Development Associate (CDA) portfolio
CertificationsChild Development Associate (CDA-Ready)CPR/First Aid CertificatePennsylvania Skills Certificate
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegeSOAR CreditsHarcum CollegeManor CollegeMontgomery County Community CollegePennsylvania College of TechnologyReading Area Community College1:1 Articulation CreditsHarcum CollegeClick here for more information on opportunities to earn college credit.
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as ABC Early Learning Center, Stepping Stone Education Center, Phoenixville YMCA and Ducklings Learning Center. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Review the task list.
Last Modified on September 20, 2019