Commercial & Graphic Arts
PA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The Commercial & Graphic Arts program is based on industry standards that prepare creative students for admission to post-secondary art schools and entry-level employment in the graphic communications industry. Upon completion of the program, students have a portfolio of their work to present to prospective employers and college admissions officers.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Show basic skills in Adobe Creative Cloud applications: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Research careers in the Visual Arts
- Demonstrate basic photography, studio lighting and portrait photography skills
- Apply design and color theory concepts
- Learn publication design, typography and branding
- Use automation, animation and scripting for production
- Develop an electronic and traditional portfolio
CertificationsAdobe Creative Cloud Suite Certification
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegeConcurrent Dual Enrollment CreditsHarrisburg University of Science and TechnologySOAR CreditsCommunity College of Allegheny CountyPennsylvania College of Technology1:1 Articulation CreditsHarrisburg University of Science and TechnologyPittsburgh Technical InstituteClick here for more information on opportunities to earn college credit.
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as the Chester County Intermediate Unit and Pro Sign. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Review the task list.