Health Career PathwaysPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
Students who are interested in helping others, working in a team environment and being a part of a field with a lot of opportunities for growth are encouraged to enroll in the Health Career Pathways program. In this program, students will acquire the skills to be valuable members of any healthcare team. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, more workers are hired in the healthcare industry than in any other industry, and the trend is expected to continue.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Understand how healthcare teams communicate, interact and practice
- Learn industry standard procedures for both patient safety and infection control
- Demonstrate direct patient care skills, including: patient grooming, rehabilitation and restorative care, vital signs and oxygen management
- Understand human growth and development by visiting and observing early childhood programs
- Learn medical terminology and study human anatomy
- Chart on real-life healthcare flow sheets to record patient data
CertificationsAMCA Medical Assisting Clinical & Clerical CertificateCPR/First Aid CertificateHeartsaver Bloodborn Pathogen CertificationOSHA-10 Safety CertificationPennsylvania Skills CertificatePersonal Care Home Direct Care Staff Certificate
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegeConcurrent Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegePennsylvania College of TechnologySOAR CreditsCommonwealth Technical InstituteHarcum CollegeLancaster County Career and Technology Center1:1 Articulation CreditsBrightwood Career InstitutePittsburgh Technical CollegeSt. Francis University
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as Homewatch Care Givers and West Chester YMCA. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Review the task list.
Last Modified on September 20, 2019