PA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!This program is a great fit for students with a passion for animals and a desire to pursue a career in veterinary medicine. Students are prepared through hands-on experiences and instruction to work in a wide variety of careers within veterinary medicine, including kennel worker, veterinary assistant, veterinary technician and veterinarian. Through this program, students are prepared to be successful in their post-secondary pursuits as well as entering directly into the workforceSample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Review proper animal handling, restraint and husbandry techniques, such as: removing animals from a cage, gender ID, feeding, watering and cleaning various animals
- Learn basic grooming techniques, such as: brushing and combing, bathing, cleaning ears, trimming nails and brushing teeth
- Learn how to properly take animal history and report chief complaints
- Calculate dosage and administer medications orally and via ears and eyes
- Review surgical assisting processes for patients, surgeon prep, instruments and bandaging techniques
- Learn about lab skills to analyze urine, feces and blood
CareerSafe OSHA-10 General Industry (healthcare)Fear Free Certified ProfessionalFEMA Animals in Disasters Certificate--Awareness & Preparedness--Community PlanningFEMA Livestock in Disasters CertificatePurina Daily Nutrition Matters Nutrition 101, 201, 301 CertificateEarn up to 3 college credits.Click here for more information on opportunities to earn college credit.Some notable partners include: the Animal Hospital of Chester County, Equine Veterinary Services, Animal Resorts and more!