CosmetologyPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The fashion-driven cosmetology field offers many opportunities for those who enjoy creativity and personal interaction with clients. Students who are motivated and passionate about fashion can earn the required hours for state licensure as a cosmetologist, nail technician, esthetician or natural hair braider.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Learn about hair styling, shampooing/ conditioning, blow drying and wet styling
- Be introduced to skin care, nail care, basic makeup applications and nail art design
- Develop haircutting and hair coloring skills through hands-on practice and application
- Learn about chemical texture services, such as permanent waving and hair straightening
- Gain additional experience practicing hair styling and nail enhancements with actual clients
- Build a professional portfolio that includes a career plan
- Demonstrate skills to successfully pass the Pennsylvania State Licensing Exam
Certifications (7)Esthetician LicenseNail Technician LicenseNatural Hair Braider LicenseOSHA 10 CareerSafePennsylvania Skills Certificate/NOCTIPennsylvania State Board of Cosmetology LicenseSP2 (Safety and Pollution)
College Credits (3)Earn up to 3 college credit.
Workplace Opportunities (7)Some notable partners include: Gemini Hair Design Studio, Escape Salon, Hair Cuttery and more!The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list.