Early Childhood Care & EducationPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The demand for early childcare professionals with professional degrees and industry-recognized credentials is rapidly growing. Being good with kids can turn into a career in the Early Childhood Care & Education program, which prepares students to earn their Child Development Associate (CDA) national credential.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Explore basic health, safety issues and the general developmental of children
- Gain exposure to the different types of childcare programs through theory and field experience
- Identify typical behaviors/milestones seen in children at specific ages
- Learn how to write and prepare lesson plans
- Plan and present a lesson plan to a preschool classroom
- Complete a nationally-recognized Child Development Associate (CDA) portfolio
Certifications (5)Child Development Associate (CDA-Ready)CPR/First Aid CertificatePennsylvania Skills CertificatePSU Better Kid Care New Staff OrientationPSU Better Kid Care Health & Safety Training
College Credits (3)Earn up to 3 college credits.
Workplace Opportunities (4)Some notable partners include: Flanagan’s Preschool, YMCA of Greater Brandywine, Downingtown East High School and more!The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Click here to review the task list.