Geographic Information Systems & Data Science
This program is an excellent fit for students who love computers, telling stories using visual elements and looking at big picture ideas. Students in this program will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience through a partnership with West Chester University to translate the skills they learn in the classroom to real-world projects. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is a fast-growing industry that allows individuals to take large quantities of data and lay them over a geographic space to draw new insights. This program prepares students to pursue post-secondary opportunities upon successful completion.Sample Career Skills
- Gain hands-on experience through collaborating with West Chester University staff, students and partners
- Learn how to use premier industry software to create interactive maps that tell a visual story using a variety of data sets
- Build a resume that includes industry credential competencies, college-level work experience and mentorship from highly qualified professionals
The opportunities are endless with a background in GIS.
Check out a few of the exciting ways in which GIS is being utilized!
- Disease Control
- Mars Rover Landing
- Archaeological Surveying
- Search and Rescue
- Global Shark Tracking
- Self-Driving Vehicles
- Augmented Reality
- Emergency Calls and Dispatch
- Military Mission Planning
- DNA Traits Mapping
- Building Virtual Environments
for Video Games
View a GIS Story Map!
In partnership with West Chester University!
- 3D Mapping
- Business Application
- Data Analysis
GIS has application in a wide variety of industries which include: engineering, planning, management, transport/logistics, government, environmental conservation, military, insurance, telecommunications, business and many more.
Certifications (1)PA Skills Certificate
College Credits (12)Earn up to 12 college credits
Workplace Opportunities (1)This program is being run in partnership with West Chester University.