Animal SciencePA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
Working directly with small and large animals, the Animal Science program prepares students to provide for the welfare of animals in the companion and production fields. Students who wish to combine a love for animals with an interest in science are prepared to explore post-secondary educational opportunities as well as entry-level employment.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Understand basic animal safety, gender determination and handling procedures for a variety of animals
- Learn scientific principles of animal care and cultivation
- Learn anatomy and physiology of animals
- Evaluate vital signs
- Understand genetics and breeding of animals
- Manage nutritional requirements and advanced treatment methods for a variety of species
Certifications (3)CareerSafe OSHA 10 Agriculture Daily Nutrition Matters 101, 201, 301 CertificateDairy Leaders of TomorrowPennsylvania Beef Quality Assurance Certificate
College Credits (3)Earn up to 3 college credits.Click here for more information on opportunities to earn college credit.
Workplace Opportunities (11)Some notable partners include: the PA Game Commission, Vixen Hall Kennels, the Unionville Equine Association and more!The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Click here to review the task list.