Early Childhood Care & EducationPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
The demand for early childcare professionals with professional degrees and industry-recognized credentials is rapidly growing. Being good with kids can turn into a career in the Early Childhood Care & Education program, which prepares students to earn their Child Development Associate (CDA) national credential.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Explore basic health, safety issues and the general developmental of children
- Gain exposure to the different types of childcare programs through theory and field experience
- Identify typical behaviors/milestones seen in children at specific ages
- Learn how to write and prepare lesson plans
- Plan and present a lesson plan to a preschool classroom
- Complete a nationally-recognized Child Development Associate (CDA) portfolio
CertificationsChild Development Associate (CDA-Ready)CPR/First Aid CertificatePennsylvania Skills Certificate
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community CollegeSOAR CreditsHarcum CollegeManor CollegeMontgomery County Community CollegePennsylvania College of TechnologyReading Area Community College1:1 Articulation CreditsHarcum CollegeClick here for more information on opportunities to earn college credit.
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies, such as: ABC Early Learning Center, Stepping Stone Education Center, Phoenixville YMCA and Ducklings Learning Center. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Click here to review the task list.