Engine TechnologyPA Department of Labor High Priority Occupation!
Students who enjoy working on outdoor power equipment, four-wheelers and motorcycles can turn their interest into a career with the Engine Technology program. Through hands-on and theory learning, students will gain the skills to troubleshoot and repair outdoor power equipment and small engines, such as: four-wheelers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, tractors, marine equipment and more.Sample Career SkillsBeginner:
- Identify and record engine serial numbers and other small engine parts
- Perform maintenance operations on small engines, including: oil changes, replacing air filters and spark plugs
- Troubleshoot general engine issues and distinguish fuel system from ignition misfires
- Read and interpret wiring diagrams
- Demonstrate engine rebuilding skills through work on actual, team-lead projects
- Gain hands-on experience through a co-op, internship or job placement with a real-world employer
CertificationsDiesel Engine CertificateElectrical System CertificateEquipment and Engine Training Council (EETC) CertificateFour Stroke Engine CertificateHydraulic System CertificatePennsylvania Skills CertificateS/P2 Automotive Safety CertificateS/P2 Safety & Pollution Prevention CertificateTwo Stroke Engine Certificate
College CreditsOpen Dual Enrollment CreditsDelaware County Community College1:1 Articulation CreditsSt. Francis University
Workplace OpportunitiesUpperclassmen may be hired at local companies such as Conway Power Equipment, Berwyn Lawnmower, Main Line Mower, Inc., Stoltzfus Farm Services, Inc., C&S Repair Center, Johnson's Small Engine, Longwood Gardens, Atlantic Tractor and Taylor Rental. Co-ops allow students to work during their school day, earn real-world experience and build their resumes.The Department of Education provides a CIP Code to approved Programs of Study (POS). Schools and postsecondary institutions use the CIP code to categorize the POS, outline the scope and sequence of educational offerings and develop a POS task list. Click here to review the task list.